UVa Centralized Exchange Service
Install & Configure Entourage 2008 Web Services
Edition (WSE) on a Macintosh
This page provides information on how to download, install, and configure Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition (WSE) for the first time on a Macintosh computer for use with the UVa centralized Exchange server.
Note: The latest version of this program for Mac computers is currently Microsoft Outlook 2011. For greater functionality and security, ITS recommends that you upgrade. For most users at UVa, if you are upgrading your Microsoft Office on a University computer for work related to your job, then the license for upgrading is free! For more information, see upgrading your software.
Note: This page is for first-time installation. If you have previously installed Entourage 2008 WSE, verify or correct your Entourage 2008 WSE configuration instead.
Requirements: You must have a UVa IP address before attempting the configuration process. (If you are off-Grounds, you will need to establish a connection via UVa Anywhere.) You also need to:
- have a UVa centralized Exchange account. (Don’t have an account yet? See how to get started with Exchange.)
- know your Eservices/Exchange password (Don’t know this password? You can (re)set it.)
Step 1: Download & Install Entourage 2008 WSE
- Recommended: Before installing this upgrade, ITS recommends that you back up your current Entourage 2008 profile. To do this, click the Entourage menu, then File, then Export, then Items to an Entourage Archive, then All Items.
- Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with installation.
- Click to download the Entourage 2008 WSE installer, a .dmg file from Microsoft.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your computer.
- If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to your desktop unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
- If you are using another Web browser, use the Save to Desktop option so the installer can be easily located.
- Double-click the file that you downloaded to your desktop, and then double-click the Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition Update to open it. (This step might have been performed for you automatically.)
- In the Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition Update window, follow the instructions on the screen to start the installation process.
Step 2: Configure Entourage 2008 WSE
Note: If you have previously installed Entourage 2008 WSE, verify or correct your Entourage 2008 WSE configuration instead.
During the installation process, your Entourage 2008 identity is not imported or upgraded automatically for use with Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition. You must import the identity from your existing identity. You can import your identity in one of the following ways:
- Use the Setup Assistant wizard that runs when Entourage first opens.
- Use the Import option on the Entourage File menu after setup.
To configure your UVa Centralized Exchange account automatically, you must know your Eservices account email address. The Autodiscover service uses your email address to configure your account profile automatically.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet.
- From the Entourage menu, click Account Settings.
- Click the little arrow next to New icon at the top, and then click Exchange in the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the Account Setup Assistant, type your eservices email address (e.g., email@example.com) in the E-mail address box, select the My account is on an Exchange server check box, and click the right arrow to continue.
- You will be prompted to enter the Domain, Account ID, and Password.
- In the Domain: field, type eservices.virginia.edu
- In the Account ID: field, type your UVa computing ID. For example: mst3k
- In the Password: field, type your Eservices/Exchange password. Don’t know this password? You can (re)set it.
- You will now see a screen that states “Automatic Configuration Succeeded.” Click on the right arrow at the bottom of the box.
- You will now see a screen that states “Verify and Complete Settings” The results box on that screen will tell you your accounts settings. Click on the right arrow at the bottom of the box.
- Click on the Verify My Settings button. The results box on that screen will give you a progress update and tell you your accounts settings have been successfully verified. Once verified, click on the right arrow at the bottom of the box.
- You will see a screen that states “Setup Complete”. Click on the Finish button. Your account has now been configured.
When you first log, in you will see a warning that “Entourage was redirected to the server Autodiscover.eservices.virginia.edu to get new settings for your account.” Click the Allow button.