UVa Centralized Exchange Service
Connect to Your Exchange Account from an Apple Computer
This page provides configuration information on how to configure your Macintosh computer for use with the UVa Centralized Exchange Service.
Configure Your Mac for Your UVa Exchange Account
Before You Start: Requirements
Before attempting to configure your Mac for your UVa Exchange account, you must:
- have a UVa centralized Exchange account. (Don’t have an account yet? See how to get started with Exchange.)
- know your Eservices/Exchange password. (Don't know this password? You can (re)set it.)
- have a UVa IP address. (Off-Grounds? You will need to connect via UVa Anywhere first. See Connecting to Exchange from Off-Grounds.)
Upgrading to the Latest Software
The latest email program for Mac computers is currently Microsoft Outlook 2011 for the Mac. For optimal performance, maximum functionality, and greatest security, ITS recommends Outlook 2011.
If you do not have Outlook 2011 already installed on your computer, you can upgrade for free or at very, very low cost because of UVa’s partnership with Microsoft. See the Microsoft Software Chooser Wizard to help you identify what software you are eligible for, at what cost.
For most users at UVa, if you are upgrading your Microsoft Office on a University computer for work related to your job, then the license for upgrading is totally free!
How to Configure Outlook 2011 for Your UVa Exchange Account
How to Create a Profile in Outlook
- Open Outlook 2011 for the Mac. (Have another email program? See below.)
- From the Tools dropdown menu, select Accounts. Select Exchange Account.
- In the E-mail address: field, type your email address on the UVa centralized Exchange server. This address is your computing ID @eservices.virginia.edu (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For the Method, select “User Name and Password.”
- When prompted for a username and password:
- Username: eservices\your computing ID (e.g., eservices\mst3k).
- Password: your Eservices/Exchange password (Don't know this password? You can (re)set it.)
- Make sure the box is checked next to “Configure automatically.”
- Click Add Account. Your account will be auto-configured. You may need to be patient if you have a large mailbox because it might take a bit to transition all the data.
- Make sure the box is checked next to “Always use my response for this server.” Then click Allow.
- View Best Practices When Using Exchange to learn about the other settings that UVa recommends.
Configuration Instructions for Other/Older/Outdated Email Programs
Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition (WSE)
- Upgrading from Entourage 2008? First-time WSE download/installation instructions
- Entourage 2008 WSE configuration instructions
Other Email Programs on Your Mac
These are not recommended for optimal performance.
- Apple Mail instructions | iCal instructions | Mac Address Book instructions
- IMAP/POP settings for other email programs
For most users at UVa, if you are upgrading your Microsoft Office on a University computer for work related to your job, then the license for upgrading is totally free! For more information, see “Upgrading to the Latest Software”, above.